HEEELP...Dreaded Upload Permissions

Need some help with permissions...Posted in a few forums, but alas noooooo help

Have a multiple upload form, everything seems fine. I have never recieved the error personally on 2 different machines running the web form.

But every now and then I get the :

receiving directory insuffiecient permission

I create user directories on the fly, then upload to tmp area, then move the files to the correct directory. As above, this works most of the time but then sometime not....

Any thoughts on this appreciated?

I am already creating the dir with 0777 and also unmask(ing) before the creation

Haven't actually got the php error, just custom recieving dir insufficient permissions...

when I look at the conflicting folder properties no write permissions are set but it's 0764

Im now trying chmod("./".$dirName."/".$_FILES['Filedata']['name'], 0777);  I've never got the error just users, so have to wait to see if that has fixed it..

Seems to set the directory with execute permissions.

Maybe it should be 0755,

??

Thanks for the responses tho...

Okay.  I may be speaking to soon, hope not.

But for anyone with similar problems...Even tho I created the dir with 0777 permisions.  I still had to chmod the folder I was uploading to later to provide access.  chmod($thisdir ."/" . $userdirectory, 0777); not sure if 0777 is the right permissions, it did give execute permissions once I looked at the properties of the folder via FTP...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.