My rich text editor automatically adds divs?

creata.physics

I have a rich text editor that I use for my site which was working just fine for me last night.

Now I'm not sure what happened but all of a sudden it started adding div tags by default which I do not understand in the slightest.

I'm assuming it is the rich text editor doing this, because when I replaced the javascript that calls the textarea with actual html, <textarea name='text'></text> it does not automatically add <div> or <br>, but when I use my code it goes ahead and does it.

here is a link to the source of my text editor:

http://zext.org/templates/default/scripts/richtext.js

this is the html I use to call the edtior, which worked fine until yesterday:

<script language="JavaScript">function submitForm() { updateRTEs(); return true; }</script>
<form onSubmit="return submitForm();" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="">
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="templates/<#TEMPLATE#>/scripts/richtext.js"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">initRTE("templates/<#TEMPLATE#>/images/bbcode/", "templates/<#TEMPLATE#>/rte/", false); </script>
<table class="main" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="8">
	<col width="25%"><col width="75%">
		<tr class="head"><td colspan="5">› Editing Content</td></tr>
		<tr>
			<td class='row2' valign="top">
				<div class='smiley_wrap' style='border: solid 1px #e1e1e1; padding: 5px; margin: 5px;background: #fff; width: 150px;text-align:center;float:right;'>
					<script type='text/javascript'>writeRichText('textarea', 'emoticons', '{$smilies}');</script>
				</div>
			</td>
			<td class='row1'>
				<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
					<tr>
						<td>
							<table class="rte" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2">
								<tr class="rte_head">
									<td><script type="text/javascript">writeRichText("textarea", "bbcode", "", 1);</script></td>
								</tr>
								<tr class="row1">
									<td><script type='text/javascript'>writeRichText('textarea', 'textarea', '', '', '0', '$text', 400, 200);</script></td>
								</tr>
							</table>
						</td>
					</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
		</tr>

I'm not sure why it's doing this or what happened to make it do this in the first place.  Like I said it was working fine last night, I powered off my comp, turned it back on and now it's not working.

Also yes, I've made sure <#TEMPLATE#> is properly replaced and that the directory for the source is loaded properly.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Matt.

Sorry for the bump but I had thought the issue was resolved, it seems the code is doing this once more and it's quite a bother, it's making this an issue with parsing my html properly somehow.  help is still needed for anybody willing to take a look.

It seems the issue is with google chrome!  In firefox divs aren't automatically added, but in google chrome they are, what can I do about this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.