Remembering the last page

monkeytooth

I am wondering whats the best way to "remember" the last page someone was attempting to access. Lets say I have a members based site. And someone goes directly to an area thats public but requires login. I have the login page independent of the page they land on. So I guess curiously speaking whats the best way to approach and or handle that?

One way is to have a hidden input in your login form, with the value of $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']. Then after you process the login just do a header() location or refresh to the hidden form value.

But, HTTP_REFERER can be easily spoofed so it's not necessarily very trustworthy. If you want something more reliable you'll have to save the current page in a session, like crayon said.

One way is to have a hidden input in your login form, with the value of $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']. Then after you process the login just do a header() location or refresh to the hidden form value.

But, HTTP_REFERER can be easily spoofed so it's not necessarily very trustworthy. If you want something more reliable you'll have to save the current page in a session, like crayon said.

And altering a hidden input field is even easier to spoof than HTTP_REFERER.  And also, if you go the hidden field route, you wouldn't be popping it with HTTP_REFERER, but of the current page url.

But anyways, we're talking about redirecting user to the page they were trying to get to when logging in, low probability someone would actually try to spoof something like that.

And also, if you go the hidden field route, you wouldn't be popping it with HTTP_REFERER, but of the current page url.

It depends how it is set up. If you go to example.com/admin and it says you need to login, and redirects you to example.com/login, then after you logged in it would redirect you back to example.com/login. If you set the referer to HTTP_REFERER, IE: example.com/admin, that is where you would get redirected.

You would only set it to the current page if the login form was on the page you wanted to redirect to.

I only said to use a hidden input form because of the above scenario. You can only go back one page, after all. Using HTTP_REFERER at all may not give reliable results.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.