Where was the error?

LLLLLLL

OK, I thought I understood the error logging settings, but I don't quite understand. Trying to troubleshoot another friend's site, a page had a fatal error so it didn't load. The browser returned a "page not found" type of error. We enabled the log and found the issue and corrected it.

However, on my own machine, I tried to attempt this same bad behavior and I always see the error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function foo() in /(path)/header.php on line 4

Why would my server show the error, but his server treated the page as if it did not exist? For the record, the entire page had this content

<?php
include( 'includes/header.php' );
?>

The error is caused because header.php calls a function that hasn't been defined. I'm just wondering why there is a difference of error handling.

It has to do with the differences between the way the two servers are setup to handle the error.

On a Production server you don't want to showendusers the true error otherwise it can help hackers and kiddiescripters on your dirs structure, filenames, naming conventions, possible software you are running, etc...  so they can break in to your site.

On a Development server you turn all the error checking on so you can see where you have a problem.

Well even the web host is unsure how they get this type of error to show a 500 error:

The website encountered an error while retrieving http://somesite/intentionalbadpage. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly. Here are some suggestions: Reload this web page later. HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

I like this type of error handling, but don't know how to get it set up!

You need to configure PHP so the settings error_reporting is set to E_ALL and display_errors is set to On within the php.ini

You can also enable these settings within your scripts(s) using

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

But this just suppresses the errors, it doesn't cause a browser 500 error. That's the ultimate mystery I'm trying to solve.

It does not suppress the error messages. It will display the errors during run time.

When display_errors is not enabled (this is the setting which display the errors) you will either get a 500 Internal Error Message or a blank screen. When an error occurs they will be logged to the servers error log.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.