Getting x rows from a database

sidorak95

Hi,

I'm trying to make an art portfolio, and I'm trying to get the images from a mysql database. However, I would like the portfolio to be paged. The template I'm using by default has pages. However, it's entirely HTML.

I'm looking to:

-Grab x rows from database (in my case, 3)

-Echo the 3 rows

-Then echo the HTML code that would create a new page

-Repeat until no more entries

Can you do this, and if so, how? I know about pagination, but I think this approach is much simpler and I would prefer my approach.

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I didn't see anywhere where it prohibited you from posting simple php questions. ^^

I am familiar with getting data from a database, and I was thinking of using limit, but in my tests it failed.

I also fail to see the relevance of echo vs. print. While I did say I would echo something, I won't necessarily use echo and that's really not my main concern right now.

This is what I was trying with limit:

<?php
mysql_connect("localhost", "", "") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("a8784hos_gpt") or die(mysql_error());

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM test LIMIT 1, 3") 
or die(mysql_error());  
$count = 0;

while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) {
while($count < 3){
echo $row['Name'] . '<br>';
$count = $count + 1;
}
echo '<hr>';
} 

?>

However, it failed, some I'm back to square one:

<?php
mysql_connect("localhost", "", "") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("a8784hos_gpt") or die(mysql_error());

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM test") 
or die(mysql_error());  

while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) {
echo $row['Name'];
} 

?>

Well the purpose of limit is used when you don't want ALL of the records returned from the query. Say for example you had a query as such:

$query = "SELECT * FROM fruits WHERE taste = "good";

And inside the fruits table you have:

name taste

apple                good

banana            good

peach              good

With LIMIT (x) at the end of the query it would only show x amount or rows so if you put LIMIT 2 it would only return apple and banana

Oh god...

Query like normal, but apply a LIMIT clause to your query. You want to query out 3 rows at a time.. So you'd have a query like...

SELECT * FROM tableName LIMIT 0,3 

that will query the first 3 recent rows in your DB (you could apply an ORDER BY [DESC|ASC]). You can elaborate further on the 0,3 and apply them by a variable. $x, $y for example.. and make those variables dynamic based on a page variable or something where page 2 would show 4,6 which will show rows 4 through 6.. I'm sorry I'm not being super nondescript and I am rushing through this a bit as I run out the door so to speak but I wanted to at least give the impression of what you can try

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.