Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barney

Server does not support graphics?

Recommended Posts

When I try to use the php_gd2.dll functionality, I get a return message, "Error: Server does not support PHP image generation."
Not certain where to look for a resolution ... I've done this before, but on a WIMP system, I think.

Windows XP Media
Apache/2.2.2 (Win32) PHP/4.4.2
MySQL 4.1.20 (for completeness sake)
PHP 4.3.10

Is there something in httpd.conf that I'm overlooking, something I need to enable?  php.ini has the php_gd2.dll extension enabled, has been since installation a couple of months ago (new syatem), so server restart shouldn't be a problem.  Tried it anyway, but no juice.  The dll does exist, and in the correct, annotated path, insofar as I can determine.

I did this about a year ago with MySQL 3.x (3.23, I think) for a site I was building for a friend.  Then I was using PHP 4.2.x on IIS 4, but it worked just fine on his ISP LAMP server.  Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that code ... estate problem ... but according to my notes everything looks good.  Only difference I can see is later versions of PHP & MySQL and running an Apache server instead of IIS.

Anybody have a direction for me to search?  Please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chek that yoou get a GD section when you run phpinfo() function. Or use the gd_info() to see if GD is loaded. If phpinfo and gd_info() returns nothing or you get an error withe the latter function the GD is installed enabled correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oops ... neglected to mention that, didn't I?

GD does not show in phpinfo(), and none of the [i]_loaded()[/i] functions show GD loaded.  However, the php.ini file is [I think] properly configured to load php_gd2.dll.  I just ran into another problem a few minutes ago with the CURL library ... php.ini indicates it is loaded, but a script attempting to use curl_init() cannot find it <groan />.

I found many referneces to GD load failure when I researched the problem, but no cures that have worked for me.  I even tried one that was specifically for Win95 <grin />.

I guess I'm gonna hafta reinstall PHP, but I hate to do that w/o knowing the why of the current problem.  I just don't like reinstall as a problem cure ... even if it works, I won't know what to do if the problem pops up again.  Oh, well ... <sigh />.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Update.
Reinstalled PHP 4.3.2 - no juice.
Pulled down PHP 4.4.4, installed - no juice.
Pulled down PHP 4.4.3, windows installer, installed (advanced, to keep paths, Apache, etc.) - no juice.

I've gone over php.ini and httpd.conf, almost to the point of memorization.  Nothing I do works ... I caon't even find a pointer as to what I might me doing incorrectly.  I've looked at Zone Alarm, but that was just grasping at straws, I think.

This is enough to make an old man cry <sigh />.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do you know whether PHP is using the PHP.ini you're editing. Also turn  a setting called [b]display_startup_errors[/b] On in the php.ini if it hasnt been already. Also chekc your servers error logs too to see if there is a problem with PHP loading up the gd extension.

Also make sure you have setup the extension_dir directive up correctly too. It should point to PHPs extension directory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thought I'd letchano ... we're functional again.

[i]wildteen88[/i]'s comments got me to thinkin'.  This box came with a trial of Pure Network's Network Magic (NM).  I decided to try it.  Don't remember if I supplied it or the setup process just grabbed it, but NM cached a copy of php.ini - it also had dll files for PHP5, which I've never had on this box, so I suspect NM [i]helped[/i] me <grrr />..  I uninstalled NM, set httpd.conf error reporting to [i]debug[/i], rebooted.

When I reinitialized Apache, I got a couple of error dialogs:
"Unable to load php_mbstring.dll - specified procedure could not be found"
&
"Unable to load php4apache.dll - specified module could not be found"

However, the scripts using GD and CURL both work, and everything else seems, at first blush, to be working OK, so I'm assuming the two error messages were transitory and the libraries finally did load.  Oh, well, that's for another forum, I guess.

'Preciate the input folk ... now I won't have to install a night light next to the prostate <chuckle />.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.