Referral system

Hi,

Im about to start building a referral system for my website only im struggling to get my head around the theory first, my website is credit based so for every user you get signed up you receive X credits...

I plan on the following...

Say user X has the referral link http://www.mysite.com/referral.php?ref=123

When somebody visits referral.php, a query is run and adds 10 credits to the user whose ref = 123.

My only problem is I need it to only run the query if they visit the referral link, and then regsiter.

Sorry if this is confusing, any input would be great, thanks

This is just basic, you're gonna have to change it a bit ;)

if(isset($_GET['ref'])){ // if the ref variable is set
$ref = $_GET['ref'];

$query = mysql_query("UPDATE `table` SET `credit` = `credit` + 10 WHERE `ref` = '$ref'");
if (mysql_num_rows($query) !== false){
//ok, done, now display the register form off yours
}else{
     echo 'An error Has just eccured, try again later ';
}

}

Like I said earlier, this is just a basic example and non secure you'll have to make some changes ;)

A couple of notes. 

1. You need to limit it somehow, so that one person cannot sign up a bunch of accounts under one user.

2. I would set up a trigger that occurred AFTER the registration process, that would add the credit to the user.

That would save from a user getting credits on referrals that didn't complete the process.

Mysql Trigger

In the authentication page, you should add this script

<?php

if (isset($_POST['ref'])) {
$ref = $_POST['ref'];
$query = mysql_query("UPDATE `table` SET `credit` = `credit` + 10 WHERE `ref` = '$ref'");
if (mysql_num_rows($query) !== false ) {
echo "Thanks for registering. You were referred by" . $ref . ". He will be given 10 credits for it. Be a referral.";
}
else {
echo "Thanks for registering!"
}
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.