Vertical-align trouble.

joe92

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

.boldText:hover {
font-weight:600;
opacity:0.99;
}

<div style="vertical-align:bottom;height:1.7em;border:solid 1px #000;">
Some text with styling that will make it <span class="boldText">go bold on hover</span>
</div>

What I want to achieve is to have the text aligned at the bottom of the div so that when the selected text goes bold, it doesn't cause the other text to jump down to keep in line with it. I started with vertical-align:bottom; being in a class then switched it to inline. I have tried using a <p> tag and also using a table thinking it was something to do with the div. The p tag didn't work either, however the table did but only when the css was applied to the table cell and only when it was inline styling. I would much rather not use a table for styling purposes though. I know that the style sheet is linked up properly as I have many other classes on the page coming from this sheet. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Joe.

as far as i know this is not possible without using position absolute. which will be pretty tricky and far from dynamic when there is also text after the span.

Usually a different color is chosen for these types of things.

the only thing you can do without causing the line to shift in the vertical axes is the following.

<style type="text/css">
.boldText{
      margin-right:12px; /* this to compensate growth horizontally on hover */
}
.boldText:hover {
    font-weight:bold;
    opacity:0.99;
    vertical-align: bottom; /* this */
    margin:0; /* remove margin */

}
</style>

<div class="stuff">
                    <p>Some text with styling that will make it <span class="boldText">go bold on hover</span> lalalalala lalala<br />
                    lalala lalala mamama lalala amamama amamamamama
                    </p>
            </div>

p.s. but this will never look very cool. I suggest to just take another color. bold text just changes the dimensions of the element, and you need to deal with that

or if your in to css3 use text-shadow. (comes close to bold :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.