Code from PHP/mySQL tutorial doesn't work.

macfall

show the users.php file you made, you can't output anything before a header redirect.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>
    <title>Fledge Press - Login</title>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/fledge_styles.css">  
    <style type="text/css">
    </style>
</head>

<body>

<?php include("nav_ads.php"); ?>

<div id="main">

<h4>Login:</h4>

<?php include("login.php"); ?>

<h4>Or register a new account:</h4>

<?php include("register.php"); ?>

<h4>Why register?</h4>

<p>Registry is required in order for you to access downloadable content. It doesn't cost you anything - unless you want to become a supporter!</p>

</div>

<?php include("bottom.php"); ?>

</body>

</html>

as for the duplicate entry, that username is already registered in the database

I deleted the row in phpMyAdmin and tried again, and still got the same error.

your ads outputs data, so must not be first, in register and also login there are header redirects

you are also including both login and register in the same form

place href links to them instead, thats the way it's set up and to do redirections

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>
    <title>Fledge Press - Login</title>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/fledge_styles.css">  
    <style type="text/css">
    </style>
</head>

<body>

<?php include("nav_ads.php"); ?>

<div id="main">

<h4><a href="login.php">Login</a></h4>

<h4>Or <a href="register.php">Register</a> a new account:</h4>

<h4>Why register?</h4>

<p>Registry is required in order for you to access downloadable content. It doesn't cost you anything - unless you want to become a supporter!</p>

</div>

<?php include("bottom.php"); ?>

</body>

Ok, I did that and it seems to have cleared up that issue. But I'm still getting this whenever I try to log in: "Duplicate entry 'macfall' for key 'username'"

And that's after I deleted ALL the rows from the table and started again.

As a note..if you want the login to be on another page..you can just make a form that leads to the login page.

Now as for your problem.

Are you using all of these exact files in this post?

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=338735.msg1596372#msg1596372

the others were different

Did you drop the table and create a new one with these values?

CREATE TABLE dbUsers
(
id int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
username varchar(32) Unique,
password char(32),
email varchar(32),
PRIMARY KEY (id)
)

I assure you everything works as expected, besides better error messages on a few items.

Make sure there are no spaces before you opening <?php tag.  That should take care of the header error.  The other is because the db table's username column is set to a unique key.  Which means it will only store a username IF it doesn't already exist.  This is a good thing, because you don't want two people with the same name.  If that error shows up, then it is because the database is working correctly.

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `dbusers` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `username` varchar(32) collate utf8_unicode_ci default NULL,
  `password` char(32) collate utf8_unicode_ci default NULL,
  `email` varchar(32) collate utf8_unicode_ci default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `username` (`username`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci;

Make sure there are no spaces before you opening <?php tag.  That should take care of the header error.  The other is because the db table's username column is set to a unique key.  Which means it will only store a username IF it doesn't already exist.  This is a good thing, because you don't want two people with the same name.  If that error shows up, then it is because the database is working correctly.

"Invalid login" is not the error for duplicate data, is it? And I'm getting it when I submit login information, not registry information.

"Invalid login" is not the error for duplicate data, is it? And I'm getting it when I submit login information, not registry information.

Sorry, X out my whole post, as I didn't see "page 2".  Oh, the eyes are getting to old.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.