MySQL Query

sqlfr28

And it's complete inability to pull off optimistic locking - dispite what it says, it's chronicly slow performance, it's price, the fact that it opens database development up to people who realy shouldn't be anywhere near it, it's use of 'custom' SQL that doesn't even match SQL Server.

Access is evil, pointless and the source of more problems than the Lybian goverment.

Hi

Yep, reliability. Or its lack of it.

It does have a place, but really that is just as something a step up from Excel for single user use, and no way does such use justify a proper database.

A few years back I had to use Access to backup and system that was soon to be dead. Data just needed for occasional use. About half a million records. I knocked up a script to load the data in which worked fine in testing. Came to use it for real and at about 45k records it would roll over and die, but not on any particular record. Access basically tripped over its own feet. The solution? Every 10k records I coded a 10 second wait to allow the data the be safely written to the database.

Not sure that its SQL being different is something that can really be complained about as there is so much difference between all the flavours anyway. However how restrictive it is (and how it struggles with any kind of mildly complex table join without resorting to views) is a major pain.

All the best

Keith

True, I'm pretty biast though, my issue is when some genius thinks that the best way to get reports from an SQL Server database is to plug access into it, and build a query with all those handy little boxes with all the field names, then run a VB script to export to excell and mail it to people.  Then it falls on it's arse, IT finaly get to know about it's existance, and I have to look through the SQL to see what's going on.  I'm sure the next office over can hear me swearing every time I come across something stupid like

WHERE (((((((([field name with spaces] = ['ask a question']))))) and ((([another field wITH Spaces] >= 1)))))))

I meen really,  :wtf: It would have saved everyone time and hastle if I'd just been asked to do it properly from the bloody start.

Anyway, I want to go back to my original question to the OP - why are you using a RDBS and at the same time going out your way to avoid the use of relational operators?  :confused:

PS Kickstart, any advance on my sequencing issue? :D

True, I'm pretty biast though, my issue is when some genius thinks that the best way to get reports from an SQL Server database is to plug access into it, and build a query with all those handy little boxes with all the field names, then run a VB script to export to excell and mail it to people.  Then it falls on it's arse, IT finaly get to know about it's existance, and I have to look through the SQL to see what's going on.  I'm sure the next office over can hear me swearing every time I come across something stupid like

WHERE (((((((([field name with spaces] = ['ask a question']))))) and ((([another field wITH Spaces] >= 1)))))))

I meen really,  :wtf: It would have saved everyone time and hastle if I'd just been asked to do it properly from the bloody start.

Anyway, I want to go back to my original question to the OP - why are you using a RDBS and at the same time going out your way to avoid the use of relational operators?  :confused:

PS Kickstart, any advance on my sequencing issue? :D

start a thread in miscellaneous to talk about Access and how poop it is..  ;)

Hi

Last place I worked landed up with us in the IT section pushed into documenting everything that moved until it stopped moving. Inevitably the users started writing their own Access database based systems as it was way too hard to get IT to do anything . The query builder is a nightmare though.

Anyway, to the OP, why do you need to avoid operators? Is the date you are checking in a date field? You could use between (but to my mind, just like an operator). You could hide the check off in a custom function, but that really just hides the operators. You could use datediff.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.