file_get_contents freezing new server

stevebeans2

I have a small network of sites currently on a VPS server, and I use file_get_contents in the wordpress theme to call a few things, like sidebar links, etc.

Anyway, it currently works on the VPS, but I purchased a dedicated server, and that appears to be causing a freeze when the pages load.

(allow_url_fopen is set to on btw)

I found out because wp-admin loads fine, stand alone pages are also ok, so I started stripping file_get_contents from my theme, and sure enough the blog loaded fine.

So my questions are,

1) Is there a setting on the server I'm missing to allow remote calls?  A port that needs opening, etc?

2) Is file_get_contents really the best way to call remote .txt files?

I'd like to figure out the answer to (1) because I don't have the time to go through 50+ blogs and convert file_get_contents to the new format before my VPS plan expires, but when the sites are migrated and I have time, I'd certainly like to convert the includes to a better format.

Thank you!

Wow... I really am a noob.  I think I tried that when I first started blogging and doing my own themes, probably messed up a piece of the code or the server was whacked so I went to file_get_contents.

Oh well, learn something new.  This should lower some server load, that's for sure.

Thanks

(btw, as per my problem, it was fixed before this post.  I honestly don't know what fixed it, but I did a reboot of my DNS server and all is working now... crossing fingers)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.