error message

esoteric

hi guys, this is probably simple but i couldn't find any posts about it.

I have a form that displays some details if the right info has been typed in, if it's wrong info or if the fields have been left blank how can i display some sort of message like ''Invoice data could not be found, please check you details and try again''

At the moment, if you type the details in wrong it the page is just empty.

thank you.

It a quite a large page but the start part is

$connection = mysql_connect($host,$user,$pass) or die (mysql_errno().": ".mysql_error()."<BR>");
mysql_select_db($dbname) or die (" Cannot find database");

$sql = "SELECT * FROM orderTable WHERE orderNum = '". $order ."' AND custUsername = '". $username ."' AND custPassword = '". $userpass ."'" or die ("Cannot find table");

$query = mysql_query($sql);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query)) { 
?>
<html>
<head>

If the 'custUsername', 'custPassword', or 'orderNum' is wrong i need it to display the error.

Thanks

I'm asking for help, i been trying different things i found on the internet but none of them work or are too confusing to understand.

Say the order number was typed in wrong then it would display ''Order Number not found''

If the order number exists but the username is wrong; '' Username incorrect''

If the order number exists but the password is wrong; ''Password incorrect''

Thanks for your patience.

$connection = mysql_connect($host,$user,$pass) or die (mysql_errno().": ".mysql_error()."<BR>");
mysql_select_db($dbname) or die (" Cannot find database");

$sql = "SELECT * FROM orderTable WHERE orderNum = '". $order ."' AND custUsername = '". $username ."' AND custPassword = '". $userpass ."'" or die ("Cannot find table");

$query = mysql_query($sql);

if(mysql_num_rows($query) < 1) {
echo "<h1>Error Status</h1>";
echo "Error!";
}

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query)) { 
?>
<html>
<head>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.