Why do you love programming?

phpSensei

This is kind of hard to explain, but since we are all programmers maybe you can share some of the things I feel here.

When I get on my computer, I feel like I am a scientist, mathematician, designer, architect, thinker, builder, creator, all these things at once. I Feel like i have been given an endless amount of powerful languages to build what I want, when I want. I also know that when I am programming I am being myself, I am in my own little zone and doing my thing. The best part is that YOU ARE ALWAYS learning something new, and when your spending hours just for that "OHHH NOW I GET IT" moment. I love how I can contribute to projects and even build my own projects and be a leader, be the guy who makes the choices, and build it yourself also.

I don't know about you guys, I am sure its similar feeling if not even better for you guys.

I have been alone on my recent project P2Pmovie, and I found myself thinking, building, trying new things and going in the deep end of stuff, and I couldn't wait to get back home the other day and start my computer to work on my project again.

Feels Good Man.

How about you guys?

This is kind of hard to explain, but since we are all programmers maybe you can share some of the things I feel here.

When I get on my computer, I feel like I am a scientist, mathematician, designer, architect, thinker, builder, creator, all these things at once. I Feel like i have been given an endless amount of powerful languages to build what I want, when I want. I also know that when I am programming I am being myself, I am in my own little zone and doing my thing. The best part is that YOU ARE ALWAYS learning something new, and when your spending hours just for that "OHHH NOW I GET IT" moment. I love how I can contribute to projects and even build my own projects and be a leader, be the guy who makes the choices, and build it yourself also.

I don't know about you guys, I am sure its similar feeling if not even better for you guys.

I have been alone on my recent project P2Pmovie, and I found myself thinking, building, trying new things and going in the deep end of stuff, and I couldn't wait to get back home the other day and start my computer to work on my project again.

Feels Good Man.

How about you guys?

I know what you mean I get this when I am creating a UML model, it takes a few moments before I actually get this strong focus and ideas start flowing... Once I am on a roll I can really feel a great design sliding off my pen.

I don't get this feeling always of course, sometimes I don't fully understand the big picture and then I need to go back and try to break up the system further. I can "ride/surf" this feeling if after the design session I get to actually code it.

I started to love programming when I was in a games creation competition. I was force by my school to join the competition. I was reluctant to join the competition. Then I have this friend from my school who was super extreme in AS scripting. From there, I started to love coding.

He thought me the basic of AS scripting. After a few days, I was telling myself, how is a website build. I went to Google and search. They told me, programming. So i went to the library and search some books about programming. There, I learn the basic of Html and JavaScript. I went on further by trying to learn how people are logged in to sites.

Initially, I used JavaScript to code how people would logged in to my site, then I realised that they are able to see the username and password by view source. I tried to disabled view source by JavaScript but it was easy to crack. Then again, I Googled website login script and a new language came to me, PHP & MySQL. There, I started building my login page and members restricted area. I also picked up jQuery and python. I learn ajax when my site requires the login to be done without reloading and it was great.

The reason why I love programming is because I have the passion to do it. Every single day, I have to program something. Its like a drug. And thanks to phpfreaks forum, I am able to fix my code asap :)

There's definitely a feeling empowerment. With technology being as ubiquitous as it is, there are tons of applications and opportunities to just build something useful. I think it's similar to the enjoyment that a carpenter or craftsman gets out of his work just in a different form.

Just being able to build something that's useful whether it be just for a small group of my friends or for a larger audience is one of the aspects that I enjoy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.