New to PHP got questions?

vaindioux

Hi

I am new to programming but I know the basics, functions, variables, loops and OOP.

I was thinking to learn PHP but I have no interest in learning web design (CSS, Photoshop), even if i know HTML.

I did some web design and it does not interest me.

Is it possible to learn PHP without knowing how to build a site?

I am thinking of going the python route if I don't pick PHP.

I am asking because someone told me it would be hard to pick up PHP without knowing other web building technologies.

I don't want to learn 50 things.

Thanks

Patrick

Hi

Thanks for the answers so far, especially MasterACE14 and voip03 which seem to be telling me it can be done. I want to know server side programming, build programs for websites, I don't want to learn how to position everything on a site (CSS) or making pictures look good (Photoshop), in brief webdesign which I don't like.

Some sites online have contractors that will program webdesigner sites with whatever they need, this is what would interest me.

Does a race car driver knows everything about a car mechanics? No, he knows some but what he likes to do is race the car and the mechanic likes to know everything about an engine.

Is it the same with server side programming and PHP?

And as far as cooking I don't like it either, but I am good at making sushi.Yum! Yum!

Thanks again

Patrick 

Ah... so, much like myself you would rather do the programming side of things than the markup.

This is what I do for  a living. Very rarely do I have to deal with design or markup though I also do a fair amount of client side JavaScript programming.

You will find that most PHP developer positions expect you to be a jack of all trades, however, there are spots around that are purely for a PHP server-side dev. There just not as common and generally with larger firms.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.