Dynamic Form with Database Values FRIEND SYSTEM

JohnnyKennedy

Okay, so I have a basic table set up with ID, Friend1, Friend2, Confirmed etc.  With ID auto_incrementing, & confirmed being 0 or 1 (1 confirmed 0 pending).  MySQL script is working great and is returning the appropriate rows:

mysql_select_db($database_NewConnection, $NewConnection);

$query_buddy = "SELECT * FROM buddies WHERE `usera`='$me' AND `confirmed`='$one' OR `userb`='$me' AND `confirmed`='$one'";

$buddy = mysql_query($query_buddy, $NewConnection) or die(mysql_error());

$row_buddy = mysql_fetch_assoc($buddy);

$totalRows_buddy = mysql_num_rows($buddy);

however, what I can't seem to figure out is how to display the username of a users friend in the dynamic field without displaying my own.  For example:

I add a friend, my Username JOHN is added as friend1 and the other users name (KATE) is added into friend2 - assuming the relationship is confirmed and the value of confirmed is 1, the friendship is returned as a MySQL result.

I would like to display values from the query (from either Friend1 or Friend2) where my username is not included.  So in this example I only want to display the value of KATE (from friend2) and not my name (from friend1) - essentially display all of my friends..

Is this possible?  Can you please lead me to the right track.  ANY help would be appreciated.

First, your WHERE clause is not quite right. Although, it may work (especially with limited data). Your query essentially says:

WHERE `usera`='$me' 
AND (`confirmed`='$one' OR `userb`='$me') 
AND `confirmed`='$one'

You need to wrap the two separate conditions in parenthesis

WHERE (`usera`='$me' AND `confirmed`='$one')
OR (`userb`='$me' AND `confirmed`='$one')

Second, you are not looping through the results, so you are only getting one result. Something like this would give you all results:

$buddy = mysql_query($query_buddy, $NewConnection) or die(mysql_error());
$totalRows_buddy = mysql_num_rows($buddy);
while ($row_buddy = mysql_fetch_assoc($buddy)) {
    // Do something with the results
    echo $row_buddy['usera'], $row_buddy['userb'];
}

To echo only the friend that is NOT the user, you can use a conditional in PHP:

echo ($row_boddy['usera'] == $me ? $row_buddy['userb'] : $row_buddy['usera']);

or you can have the query return the "other" person:

SELECT *, IF (usera = '$me', userb, usera) AS Other
FROM buddies 
WHERE '$me' IN (usera, userb) AND confirmed='$one'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.