Protection Theory?

doomdude

Hey guys,

Would it be possible to protect my code from people trying to steal it by hosting some files on my server, and some on their server?

For example:

Code on my server would have the php scripts.

Code on their server would have <?php include('http://www.myserver.com/file.php ?>

Would this work, or does the php script need to be on the same server?

Just looking to how I could stop people from editing my copyrights out and re-distributing it?

Thanks

That wouldn't work, it would only include the output of the script, not the actual script. So long as your server is configured correctly other people won't be able to get the source of your scripts that way.

There are a few ways you COULD do this, but I would suggest against it in every case.

Keep in mind, if the server has to even get a verification from your site to execute code, you add a huge layer to EVERY request by a user.

User requests a page from server -> server requests code/verification/etc from your site -> Your site parses and verifies information -> Your site sends data to server -> Server parses data/executes code -> Server sends markup to user.

Now, if your site has a hiccup or a node drops or is unavailable for any reason, the server is now down. Your clients now rely on your server to have 100% uptime, and an extremely fast response time.

You're just gonna have to trust that your code won't be pirated. Offer support as part of the selling package. Even huge projects like vBulletin get pirated, but still have a huge customer base.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.