Form Help

garrickplaisted

Hello all,

I am new to php & MySQL and need a little help. I am sure this issue may be very easy for most of you but here it goes. I am going to have a form with a single field and a submit button.

<form action="" method="get">
<label name="number" value="Please enter number">Please enter number:</label>
    <input type="text" />
    <input type="submit" value="Check Results"></button>
</form>

When submitted I would like the form to query the database and return a message and echo the "group" field of the database if the data entered matches the data in "number" field in the database. I believe I need to use the SELECT statement to get this done. I have setup a database named="number_entry" with a table named="tbl_number" and 3 fields 1) "id" = INT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY 2) "number" = TEXT 3) "group" = TEXT. I have made a connection to the DB fine. I am just not sure how to use the select statement in conjunction with the form so when a user enters a number it determines if it matches the number in the "number" field of the database. I hope I gave enough information. If someone could graciously help me that would be great.

a few things,

first of all your html elements are missing some vital things.

<label> is connected to the ID of another form element so you need to provide that. for instance

<label for="monkeys">lalala</label>

Second your input element needs a name for instance:

<input type="text" name="monkeys" id="monkeys" />

notice the id i gave that makes the connection with the label.

As far as how to work with a database, have a look at the tutorial section, There is a nice tutorial there named 'database handling' if i am correct.

Good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.