Look over and test of ajax MYSQL editor?

gearsgod

not sure where to post this rightly but I shall explain my....problem.

Ok so I have been using PHP and JavaScript and HTML for the past three years and I have learned a lot and plan to become a Network+ engineer with programing webpages/sites on the side.

So I was at my GF's rich parents house when her step dads company manger was there for a BBQ, I got to talking to her step dads co-workers and soon got to the manger, we chatted for awhile and I told him how theirs no free ajax driven MYSQL web editor, the paid ones were nice but flashy and did a lot more then basic need, the free ones.....well lets leave it at "free" and so I started creating my own, and I was happy with what I had made for myself.

Well it turns out he took an interest in this easy MYSQL web editor and said that his employees have been complaining about using PHPmyadmin and how they wished for something easier and free with a simpler interface for updating information, I said I would fix up my script and send him a copy to test out on his server's, I did make a point to use it on a test server first. After a week I threw a copy into his email, about two days later he responds with;

"This is great! This is what I was talking about and my employees after trying it out said it was just what they wanted to, And how you made it easy to update with just a simple link is amazing! Let me know when you have updated it to a stable release so I can put it to the production servers, looking forward to hearing back from you this month."

Simple right? Hell it's great news and I might have just stuck my foot in the door to something big.....or have I?

See I love what I have made and done the best to "fix it up" but I am so worried because I don't know how my Webware (that's what I call my stuff) will hold up to a database with tables holding millions of entry's (although I made it to handle as much as the webserver itself could) and the security too would be a problem, even though only about 25 people will be using it I still believe I need more testing with it and needs to be put through a lot more paces before pushing something like this on something so important.

So I ask all of you out there, Help me? Could you tell me what I might have done wrong, what might need to change or I don't know,

I just don't want to screw up this one chance by having one small little problem ruining their database and getting blamed or worse...sued.

A copy of it will be Attached. And I please advise to test on a copy of XAMPP if you would be so kind to take it up to help me here.

Sorry for the story life read their.

[attachment deleted by admin]

- On macintosh, with firefox, you're encoding is all messed up (you don't seem to have any in your online demo)

- this is quite a basic piece of 'webware'. A lot to fix. I'm not sure if your demo is the fully working thing (if not it should be, otherwise we're all wasting time testing a thing that does not correspond to reality), but I'm getting a lot of bugs and errors. You don't seem to be detecting when a database is empty or not, you just spit out the fields. There's no button to add more data, no button to delete, etc....

I think, no matter how simple you would like it to be, what's going to happen is that you're going to start off with the absolute minimal functions, everyone is going to love it, because it only takes 2 minutes to learn, but then they'll need more features (been there, done that... hundreds of times)... So they will start to ask you to add stuff. As you do, they'll get increasingly happier... But in the end you're going to end up with something very similar to phpMyAdmin, the only difference is that everyone will know how to use it because they got to learn in increasing steps without being overwhelmed with all the features right from the start... Keep in mind that people only complain about and hate software they don't really know how to use. PhpMyAdmin is one of the easiest managers out there.

I think having the database first then the tables would be more friendly.

Having a dropdown of all the available columns, and upon selection it sorts by that would be nice.

Or how about when you click on the displayed columns name it just sorts it by that and forget the dropdown.

Having the ASC,DESC order.

Jump ahead pages.

Overall it seems to work, but easy versus deluxe functions is hard to get used to when need to get to some specific data.

I don't know why people would hate phpmyadmin, I feel it does the job well considering how complex mysql is.

I realize you just want a simple way to edit data, and that's what it does.

A wee bit more work on navigation and some checking it could be useful.

Something else that might help:

I don't know what system you're running, but if it's macintosh or unix/linux, grab a copy of webmin (it's free) and check out it's mysql server manager (under the servers tab), it's simpler than phpMyAdmin, so maybe you can get some ideas from it.

p.s.

I think having the database first then the tables would be more friendly.

I Totally agree with QuickOldCar. Databases first, then fields.

About four/five years ago I developed a site for a family friend's side business, who's other business is a gardening company; very un-technical minded and slow to learn stuff like this. At his own request I foolishly spent an hour just showing him how he can edit basic things through PHPMyAdmin, so he could avoid any further costs like an admin area.

A few weeks later he came back to me and said he'd accidentally deleted the products table. Luckily there's a periodic back-up so there was only a week or two's worth of new data lost, but anyone without an understanding of databases should not be let loose on one -- especially a production database! I would keep that in mind when adding further features to this, and what you're intended users are.

---

As for the tool iteslef, it seems very incomplete, there's not a right lot to comment on. Although.. When I click a field it's coming up with "Edits-1", does this mean it's just updated that field? If so, this is going to hog resources. Imagine I tab through the two rows to get  to the second column in the third, you've just done (with your `users` table as the example) 7 queries before I've even editted the column I wanted. Check to make sure the column has changed before updating it. Also I'd update at row-level. Wait for focus to leave a row and then update it, assuming there's been changes.

Edit

One more thing, consider this is a production database! Performance is key to not affecting the front-end user's experience.

- On macintosh, with firefox, you're encoding is all messed up (you don't seem to have any in your online demo)

- this is quite a basic piece of 'webware'. A lot to fix. I'm not sure if your demo is the fully working thing (if not it should be, otherwise we're all wasting time testing a thing that does not correspond to reality), but I'm getting a lot of bugs and errors. You don't seem to be detecting when a database is empty or not, you just spit out the fields. There's no button to add more data, no button to delete, etc....

I think, no matter how simple you would like it to be, what's going to happen is that you're going to start off with the absolute minimal functions, everyone is going to love it, because it only takes 2 minutes to learn, but then they'll need more features (been there, done that... hundreds of times)... So they will start to ask you to add stuff. As you do, they'll get increasingly happier... But in the end you're going to end up with something very similar to phpMyAdmin, the only difference is that everyone will know how to use it because they got to learn in increasing steps without being overwhelmed with all the features right from the start... Keep in mind that people only complain about and hate software they don't really know how to use. PhpMyAdmin is one of the easiest managers out there.

What do you mean that encoding is all messed up? I used base64 to encode all the data first as to not a have a problem during transport and to have some data recovery if some packets get lost more often then not and to avoid some problems I was having early on.

The demo is the fully working thing. but I'm getting a lot of bugs and errors. firebug says everything is running fine on my firefox. can you post some screen shots or error codes? Oh and are you using PHP5.3.X and cURL7+?

You don't seem to be detecting when a database is empty or not, you just spit out the fields. There's no button to add more data, no button to delete, etc....  I was just getting around to that. just needed to know some details about it now. it's guys like you I was looking forward to and more down the post to tell me what I needed to add/ improve that makes me breath easier.

I think having the database first then the tables would be more friendly.  Gotcha, will change that

also everything QuickOldCar said I will promptly get right on.

@erdem  I will check that out

Check to make sure the column has changed before updating it. Also I'd update at row-level. Wait for focus to leave a row and then update it, assuming there's been changes.  I can prob do the checking, but the row level might be a bit hard, but I will give it a try!

Thanks for all the feed back I will get right to work once I wake up more!

I have done a lot of changing and I added some new things. adding rows/tables and stuff will prob come later but I fixed the updating when its not needed and did some tweaking. if you want me to push what I have changed now as an update I can, but I feel like I need to add and change a few more things before I push an update to everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.