how to read tech doc manuals

coffeecup

Do you know of any reference material that could put some light in a dim room on the subject of the use of english  punctuation  in computer technical documentations.

Even though i have not been thru College or University, when i was in first grade i was able to learn the dewy decimal system without a Librarian holding my hand.

and then the bomb landed. and today 45 years later i am recovering and just need a tid bit of assistance.

I can think and reason and have been able to wade thru the plethora of mass confusion on the net to find the raw essentials to build web apps and have learned thru open source books and the net, XHTML CSS and the basics of Javascript, PHP, MySQL.

After having to sift thru a lot of ? and coming to understand the true essentials i am going back thru to learn what`s real and build.

But the one thing i am stumbling on is the documentation and manuals use of basic english literature punctuation with what seems to be " mixed with conditionals ".

I i just need to find a flashlight to get thru this mole hole.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you

I guess i could write a question to the authors listed in the man pages for the particular man page in question.

You could but I doubt you'll have much luck with that.  This is why places like phpfreaks and stackoverflow exist -- to help people navigate and seek advice.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.