Add to 'likes' field in Database

nortksi

Hi guys, I am hoping someone can help me with this.  I am pretty new to PHP and MySQL but I am learning all the time; however I have become stuck.

I am developing a business directory and need to be able to let the user click a 'like' button which will then add to the total number of 'likes' for that business.  At the moment I am able to retrieve all businesses and output them to the screen, the current number of likes is also displayed.  The brief code for displaying th number of likes is:

<div class="pr_likes"><?php echo $sr[$ii]['number_likes'];?> likes</div>
<a href="#"><div class="pr_thumb"></div></a>

Underneath the pr_likes class is a div that displays a roll over 'thumbs up' image.  I realise that instead of this being a hyperlink it will most probably be a form?

If possible I want it to add to the total number of 'likes' without leaving the current page as the retrieved businesses are returned randomly and I do not want to scramble the results.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Ok, having reading up on the suggested material I have gave it a go.  However; I am unable to get this working.  This is what I have so far:

HTML FILE:

<script type="text/javascript" src="prototype.js"></script>
<script>

function sendRequest() {
			new Ajax.Request("test.php", 
				{ 
				method: 'post', 
				postBody: '<?php $Company;?>'+$F('<?php $Company;?>')+'&<?php $Code;?>='+$F('<?php $Code;?>')
				onComplete: showResponse 
				});
			}

function showResponse(req){
			$('pr_likes').innerHTML= req.responseText;
		}
</script>
<body>
<div class="pr_thumb">
        <?php $Code =  $sr[$ii]['postcode'];
         $Company = $sr[$ii]['company_name']; ?>

<form id="test" onsubmit="return false;">
	<input type="hidden" name="<?php $Company;?>" id="<?php $Company;?>" >
                 <input type="hidden" name="<?php $Code;?>" id="<?php $Code;?>" >
                 <input type="submit" value="submit" onClick="sendRequest()">
</form>
</div>
</body>

TEST.PHP

<?php

$companyName=($_REQUEST['$Company']);
$postCode=($_REQUEST['$Code']);

// connect to the database
	mysql_connect("*****", "*****") or die(mysql_error()); 
	mysql_select_db("******") or die(mysql_error());

mysql_query("UPDATE businesses SET number_likes = number_likes+1 WHERE company_name = '$companyName' AND postcode = '$postCode'");

?>

It is no doubt incorrect on so many levels.  Any helpful pointers will be greatly appreciated

Regards,

Mark.

you will need the echo out your variables. and there is php in both scripts thus it must used .php extensions unless you parsed it in your server config.

index.php

<?php $Code =  $sr[$ii]['postcode'];
         $Company = $sr[$ii]['company_name']; ?>
<script type="text/javascript" src="prototype.js"></script>
<script>

function sendRequest() {
			new Ajax.Request("test.php", 
				{ 
				method: 'post', 
				postBody: '<?php echo $Company;?>'+$F('<?php echo $Company;?>')+'&<?php echo $Code;?>='+$F('<?php echo $Code;?>')
				onComplete: showResponse 
				});
			}

function showResponse(req){
			$('pr_likes').innerHTML= req.responseText;
		}
</script>
<body>
<div class="pr_thumb">

<form id="test" onsubmit="return false;">
	<input type="hidden" name="<?php echo $Company;?>" id="<?php echo $Company;?>" >
                 <input type="hidden" name="<?php echo $Code;?>" id="<?php echo $Code;?>" >
                 <input type="submit" value="submit" onClick="sendRequest()">
</form>
</div>
</body>

test.php

<?php

$companyName=($_REQUEST['$Company']);
$postCode=($_REQUEST['$Code']);

// connect to the database
	mysql_connect("*****", "*****") or die(mysql_error()); 
	mysql_select_db("******") or die(mysql_error());

mysql_query("UPDATE businesses SET number_likes = number_likes+1 WHERE company_name = '$companyName' AND postcode = '$postCode'");
?>

Hi ZulfadlyAshBurn, thanks so much for taking the time help me!

I have implemented the changes you suggested.  Unfortunately; it still does not work :(

I have checked the variable and field names which all appear correct.  Any other thoughts?

Kind regards,

Mark.

is there any error? enable error reporting.

Hi.  Yes an error is reported:

Notice: Undefined variable: ii in /content/Hosting/p/l/web/eventresults.php on line 25

Notice: Undefined variable: sr in /content/Hosting/p/lweb/eventresults.php on line 25

Notice: Undefined variable: ii in /content/Hosting/p/l/web/eventresults.php on line 26

Notice: Undefined variable: sr in /content/Hosting/p/l/web/eventresults.php on line 26

These lines are:

$Code =  $sr[$ii]['postcode'];
$Company = $sr[$ii]['company_name']; 

I hope this can shed some light :)

Regards,

Mark.

Hi ZulfadlyAshBurn, sorry for the late reply, I've been out of the office over the weekend.

I am assuming that the variables have been set as I can display the data being retrieved from my 'businesses' table in the MySQL database.  For example; I can display the company name and postcode that these variables hold.  Could it be something to do with where abouts in my code these variables are placed?

I am in a difficult position because I am signed into a non-disclosure agreement with my employers so I can not reveal to much of my code.

Kind regards,

Mark.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.