is this $_POST considered empty

ploppy

I am trying to code a error callback using php and ajax.

What I cannot get past is, I am assinging a variable to a $_POST in PHP to check for an empty value. If empty, then trigger error message.

However, jquery is passing the post to php as carton%5B0%5D:carton%5B1%5D:.

Would php see this as an empty post? What are these numbers etc after carton? carton is actually an array. If I do elseif(!empty($carton)) then the message is triggered. This is strange bearing in mind that the input values are empty at submit stage.  thanks

This is the code that jquery uses to create an input from a slider change event.

for(var i = 0;i < $(this).val();i++) {
        $("#carton").append('<div data-role="fieldcontain"><label for="carton" class="ui-input-text">Enter box ' + (i + 1) + ' number:</label><input type="text" name="carton['+i+']" id="carton['+i+']" class="carton ui-input-text ui-body-null ui-corner-all ui-shadow-inset ui-body-c" /></div>')
      }

sample php code

$carton = $_POST['carton'];

elseif(empty($carton)) {

//set the response
    $response_array['status'] = 'error';
    $response_array['message'] = 'You must enter a carton for retrieveal';

//if no errors
}

@Pandemikk

very simply, it is a empty array.  if I test for empty $_POST using the following (The elseif is there because it is in the middle of other elseif statements), then no error is triggered, but it should be because the input on the form is empty. But if I use !empty, then the error is triggered. Why is that happening. Thanks

elseif(empty($carton)) {

//set the response

$response_array['status'] = 'error';

$response_array['message'] = 'You must enter a carton number';

}

Arrays with keys but no values for those keys will not be considered "empty".

Depending on what you're trying to do, you could loop through each array and check if the value exists and, if not, trigger an error then.

But I think your issue lies with more than that. See what the above poster said^.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.