solutions to php

silverglade

Hi, I have been looking up tutorials but find most of them are not relevant to what I am doing such as doing a php search, but not knowing how to filter out words. I was wondering, how much of all of your solutions come from your mastery of the php language, and how much comes from tutorials you have seen?

A percentage would be good for both if you can for me. Ideally I would not have to look at any tutorials as I find it to be a pain in the A$$. Ok anyone's percentages welcome! any help appreciated. thank you. :)

(this also applies to php and mysql both)

Majority of my knowledge of PHP comes from firstly, from the php.net manual, textbooks I own and issues that have been resolved on this very forum.

Sure tutorials are great, but usually they have offer a very specific solution which probably most of the time is not 'exactly' what you're looking for. But it does give you a general idea of how a problem can be solved.

Personally I think the best way to improve is to practice and experiment, if you're completely stuck with something then try googling it, tutorials or refer to the PHP manual or textbooks, if you don't try to do something yourself first, it makes it harder to learn anything at all.

ok thank you, I will focus on learning that language and not get over my head. I think it is like learning English, I was trying to form whole paragraphs, and then , not knowing how, was looking up tutorials on "how to write paragraphs" I think that is not the way.

also , does it matter which you do first, the php and mysql, or the site and all the graphics, then the php and mysql?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.