New WinXP installation: "Could not start the service"

jhsachs

I'm trying to build a WAMP environment on a system that I have to use temporarily. I'm getting this error at the end of the MySQL installation process.

The Event Viewer gives only the message "Faulting application mysqld.exe, version 5.5.16.0, faulting module mysqld.exe, version 5.5.16.0, fault address 0x0023f7a8."

I've tried everything I can think of, including uninstall/reinstall, downloading a new copy of the installation file, and shutting down Apache during the install.

What else might I try?

The system in WinXP SP3. The MySQL installer is mysql-5.5.16-win32.msi. I've already installed Apache 2.2.21 and PHP 5.2.17 and confirmed that they work properly.

The options I've chosen for the installation are:

Setup type: Typical

Configuration: Detailed

Server type: Developer

Database usage: Multifunctional

InnoDB Tablespace settings: 'C:\MySQL Datafiles\

Connections: Decision Support

Networking: TCP/IP enabled, port number 3306, firewall exception enabled or disabled (I've tried both)

Character set: standard

Windows options: Install as Windows service, service name MySQL, Launch automatically selected

Security options: enabled... remote not selected, anonymous account not selected

I'm not totally familiar with the details of Windows permissions, but the account is described as "Computer Administrator," and I believe that's about as permitted as a Windows user can get.

Also, it would seem odd for MySQL to have a problem installing and starting itself as a service when Apache did not.

There's a "runas" command -- if I'm going to install from the command line. I should be able to make that work, but wouldn't it be easier just to log in as the appropriate user?

Whatever the answer is to that question, the more difficult question is: what user account? There are three accounts defined on the system: the one I'm using, the original one, and "guest." I don't think "guest" would work, so that leaves the original. Problem is, that account I was trying to use is defined as an administrator, just as the original one is. For that reason it seems very likely to me that the original one will fail just as the one I was using did.

Ordinarily I'd go ahead and try it; if it worked I'd thank you, and if it didn't I'd report what happened and ask what else might be wrong.

But here's the situation now: the computer I'm having difficulty with is in Chicago, and I'm now back home in California, where I have access to my regular development system, and no longer have access to the problem computer. Thus the problem is moot -- until the next time I'm in Chicago, probably later this year. Then I'll be right back where I was yesterday morning: unable to do any work until I solve this problem.

Consequently I want to ask: if logging in as the original user doesn't work, what else might be wrong? I'd like to be able to return to Chicago with the right answer in my pocket, even if I'm not sure which of several answers it is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.