php tags

gish

I have just been given some code that is live on a web site. I pulled it down to my local linux machine and the php will not run. I have worked out the issue

the php tags are <? scripting ?> it is missing the php.

I have a couple of questions how do I get my local linux  machine get <? scripting ?>  this to work and I have a lot of code that is like this and I am sure

that it is no longer secure is this right?

as pikachu stated, this setting is found in your php.ini file.. you will want to look for the directive labeled "short_open_tag" and set it to "on"..

not trying to be an echo to pikachu here, however in the future the short_tag directive will most likely be removed.. I would speak to the owner of the site to have the short tags changed to full tags...

using short tags these days is considered a bad practice..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.