search database table with checkbox values

Matt G

Hello everyone,

Im fairly new to HTML, PHP and MySQL and I have been researching for weeks to find a script that allows me to search specified database tables for checkbox values.. I have come across a number of articles and forums that discuss methods of retrieving/displaying submitted checkbox values &/or populating checkbox forms with database values; but none have explained how to conduct a MySQL table search using selected(checked) checkbox values..

I have a html checkbox form that has values: RED, BLUE, GREEN, SHIRTS, PANTS, SHORTS; my RETAIL DATABASE consists of two tables( each table represents a specific retail store) Store 1(Table_1) and Store 2(table_2);

Rows within the table consist of a ID (Primary& Auto_INT); Product_Name(Varchar) and a Product_Description(Text)..

For example: I would like the checkbox form to search the "Product_Descriptions" of  "table_1" and return the "Product_Name(& description)" from MySQL; but Im having sooo much trouble getting started or finding a usable reference... Here's what I got so far:

<form action="...php" method="post"
name="search_form" onsubmit="return Checkckeckboxes(this);">

<input type="checkbox" name="search['table_1']" value="blue" id="search1"/> Blue<br/>
<input type="checkbox" name="search['table_1']" value="red" id="search2"/> Red<br/>
<input type="checkbox" name="search['table_1']" value="green" id="search3"/> Green<br/>
<input type="checkbox" name="search['table_1']" value="shirts" id="search4"/> Shirts<br/>
<input type="checkbox" name="search['table_1']" value="pants" id="search5"/> Pants<br/>
<input type="checkbox" name="search['table_1']" value="shorts" id="search6"/> Shorts<br/>
<input type="submit" value="search"/>
</form>

//not sure what information is to be placed in the "id" section..if any

Database name is: RETAIL_STORES

Table_1 ( represents store number one)

Id (primary, auto int)            //i.e. 1

Product_Name (Varchar)        //i.e. Golf Shorts

Product_description (Text)    //i.e. Green, Shorts, etc

Table_2 (represents store number two)

Id (primary, auto int)          //i.e. 1 

Product_Name (Varchar)      //i.e. basketball shirt

Product_description (Text)  //i.e. red, shirt

I want this form to search for selected(checked) values in Table_1 via product_Description and display the Product_Name and description to the user.. But im sure my form parameters have NOT accomplished this and I need code help to achieve my goal.. I know someone on this forum can help or at least get me started in the right direction..PLEASE HELP!!!!!! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.