MySQL DATE_FORMAT + PHP Time Comparison in Query

drath

MySQL Version: 5.0.32

Hello there guys, I've been stumped for awhile using DATE_FORMAT in a SELECT that I have been creating. Unfortunately the field is not in a timestamp, or a straightforward datetime format, and there is no ability to edit that, so it looks like it's DATE_FORMAT to the rescue... except it's not working (yet).

The field (lastlogin) is formatted as: July 24th, 2010 2:03 PM or in PHP: date('F jS, Y g:i A').

As far as I can tell, the MySQL equivalent of that is %M %D, %Y %l:%i %p.

This is my query for trying to select only the times within the last month:

$sql = "SELECT snip FROM snip WHERE DATE_FORMAT('lastlogin', '%M %D, %Y %l:%i %p') >= '" . date("F jS, Y g:i A", strtotime("-1 month")) . "' ORDER BY snip DESC LIMIT 20";

Can anybody spot what I may be doing wrong here? It is not returning any error, so I assume it is at least executing, but nothing is showing up, which means I made a formatting mistake possible? Thanks!

*EDIT* The PHP portion in there is confirmed working, it returns a date of the previous month in the proper format, "September 19th, 2011 6:39 PM" for example at the time of this post.

Whoever set it up that way should have their testicles forcibly removed; if you can get someone to change it, you'd be much better off to do so. You cant do a greater than / less than comparison on a date in that format. You're going to need to use MySQ's STR_TO_DATE() to format the date string into a valid YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS format, then use DATE_SUB() to get the value for the comparison.

For posterity sake, here is the final query I used to get this working:

WHERE STR_TO_DATE(lastlogin, '%M %D, %Y %l:%i %p') >= DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 1 MONTH)

I thought I used to be able to mark the thread as solved? Either way, it's SOLVED :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.