MySQL fulltext search increase from minimum 3 characters

jend91

Hey guys,

I have a search on my little blog but some of the things people can search for could be only 3 characters.  I saw that it is possible to change the minimum number of characters for fulltext searching by changing ft_min_word_len.

I have a hosting account on a shared server and I asked the tech support if they could fulfil this request.  They have replied and said it is not possible because I am on a shared server and it will increase the resource consumption.

I read something about mysql option files.  Is this something that can be applied to one domain on a shared server?  Or, is there another way I can do this without making changes to the MySQL config?

Thanks,

Jen

That's not what that variable is -- it's the minimum word-length to index.  So it won't index "the", "and", etc. -- and I think the minimum is 4.

Anyway, if you have access to edit the option file, then you might be able to change it (and then rebuild all of your FULLTEXT indexes).

Hi Fenway,

Thanks for your reply.  I am new to this so maybe my terminology is not correct :-[  I want to index 3 letter words because if somebody wants to search on the word PHP it will not return anything as it is not indexed.  From what I have read, the default value is 4 and it seems to be that with my web hosts server.

My web host say they will not allow indexing of 3 character strings because it will put too much strain on the server resources because I am on a shared server.  I would love to move to a dedicated server, but can't afford it :(

I just saw something about option files, but don't really understand how they work.  I was wondering if the web host loads an option file, if that will affect all clients on the server, or can be specific for my domain?

Thanks,

Jen

Assuming that they're running a single instance of MySQL for the entire server (likely), then you're stuck, because there's on a single conf file being used per-server.

Why not use the Sphinx plug-in and forget about using FULLTEXT?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.