Getting the auto increment key value

eazyGen

Hi Guys,

Using MySQL, I have a table with an auto increment key. I add rows to this table happily enough.

However, is there a simple way of obtaining from the db the value that was allocated by the auto increment?

Many thanks in advance,

S

Back again on this chaps.

I have looked at the documentation for mysql_insert_id() and it says:

mysql_insert_id() will convert the return type of the native MySQL C API function mysql_insert_id() to a type of long (named int in PHP). If your AUTO_INCREMENT column has a column type of BIGINT (64 bits) the conversion may result in an incorrect value. Instead, use the internal MySQL SQL function LAST_INSERT_ID() in an SQL query.

I have a bigint as the key if my table, so I looked at the LAST_INSERT_ID(). However, during testing I noticed that LAST_INSERT_ID() returned a value with a type of long, which I believe has a maximum value up to: 2,147,483,648. So this doesn't seem to be the solution.

Has anyone overcome this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

S

I noticed that LAST_INSERT_ID() returned a value with a type of long

How exactly did you notice that, because the method used could be giving you false information or could be converting the value.

I beg your pardon, I think I may have misled you.

I made use of the function mysql_insert_id() and then ran it through a debugger. The debugger I used was the one that comes with PhpED:

http://www.nusphere.com/products/php_debugger.htm

The result was a value of "long".

I then ran this code:

$qry = "SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID()";

$b = mysql_query($qry);

and $b ended up with a type of mysql result.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong here. My most important issue is that I must know the type of the integer that comes out of the code as I need to populate a BIGINT with a length of 13.

I have searched around but I cannot seem to find a great deal of clarity on this topic. If I cannot get this method to work, I may have to use a different technique.

Any comments most welcome.

S

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.