MySQL Data Export Problem (Dirty Data)

groupbrand

My client has an old application that did not clean the data before storing it into the MySQL database - basically they would copy and paste directly from word into a text box and PHP would just store whatever that looked like. Looking at the old database the information is still preserved (e.g. a bullet point would like like one rather than an html tag etc.) but when I export the data in order to create a new database MySQL converts this information into a series of funny characters so that they import weirdly and means I cannot convert them back to their original format! For the most part it happens with '£' signs and bullet point (the many that word can output).

Any ideas on how to correct these and clean this data in order to move forward would be massively appreciated.

DK.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.