flood protector

RobertP

i know there is a better way, but this is what i have.

the reason i don't want to use sessions, is because you can simply clean your cookies, refresh page.

also, i don't think bots / attackers even hold cookies.

//flood protector.
$floodFile = 'flood.txt';
$floodInterval = 1;
$floodTime = array_sum(explode(' ',microtime()));
$floodDataRaw = explode(';',(is_file($floodFile)) ? file_get_contents($floodFile) : null);
$floodData = array();
foreach($floodDataRaw as $raw){
$raw = explode(',',$raw);
$floodData[$raw[0]] = $raw[1];
}
foreach($floodData as $ip => $time){
if($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']==$ip){
	if(($time+$floodInterval)>$floodTime)
		exit('Flood Protector');
	unset($floodData[$ip]);
}
if(($time+($floodInterval*10))<$floodTime)
	unset($floodData[$ip]);
}
$floodData[$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']] = $floodTime;
if(count($floodData)>0){
$fileData = array();
foreach($floodData as $ip => $time)
	if($ip!=null)
		$fileData[] = $ip.','.$time;
file_put_contents($floodFile,implode(';',$fileData));
}
print_r($floodData);
//===============

flood.txt

127.0.0.1,1322205164.8157;127.0.0.2,1322205134.2344

Your script will eat up memory as it currently sits, one small botnet sending requests will have that script firing off, reading that file, writing to that file and as the file gets bigger your script reads the entire thing in memory and it won't be long until you're getting out of memory errors. 

Its admirable to try to fix this problem as you see it, but the solution is just not suited to a php script.  Even if your script didn't have that problem I would suggest moving your flood protection elsewhere.  PHP sits atop Apache, Apache sits on HTTP and HTTP relies on the network layer, its better to nip the problem down in the network layer.  DDoS (typically SYN flooding) protection is best done by your provider with a packet inspecting firewall appliance.  But sometimes that's not available or the service is too much, the server's own firewall could be a solution but its not ideal, a proxy server or the switch its connected to would be better.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.