How do I compare a date and insert a row only when current date is newer?

Jeffro

This kind of borders on php as much as mysql, but I think the mysql part is what's hanging me up. 

This works great in my php page:

$query = "INSERT IGNORE INTO postings (title, description, timeStamp) VALUES ( '$title', '$description', STR_TO_DATE('$date', '%a, %d %M %Y %H:%i:%s'))";

So now.. for any new records, I want to compare the php $date against the mysql date (column called dateStamp with a type of datestamp). 

I tried adding this:

$querycheck = "SELECT 1 FROM postings WHERE city='$city' and STR_TO_DATE('$date', '%a, %d %M %Y %H:%i:%s') > timeStamp  LIMIT 1";
if ($querycheck === true) {

$query = "INSERT IGNORE INTO postings (title, description, timeStamp) VALUES ( '$title', '$description', STR_TO_DATE('$date', '%a, %d %M %Y %H:%i:%s'))";
mysql_query($query) or die( "<br>Query string: $query<br>Caused error: " . mysql_error() );

}

It seems to be evaluating the expression because..  if I run my php 2x in a row, it inserts about 20 dates the first time.. and 0 the second time.  The problem though..

I'll then order by dateStamp desc for that city only... delete the highest date, rerun my php page and it still inserts 0 results, even though $date is higher than any other result in the mysql table at that point. 

Any ideas? 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.