Select only one occurence

Ninjakreborn

This is driving me crazy. I have a table that has a lot of data in it. I have a field called Order ID that has multiple occurrences of each order ID.  I need to be able to get 1 record with Each order ID. I basically tried

using distinct..and it's still returning multiple occurrences of each order ID.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT DISTINCT order_id FROM jp_transaction_history WHERE last_name LIKE '%" . $last_name . "%' AND transaction_type = 'ss'");

ALL I want to do is get 1 record for every Order ID that is found..not duplicate order ID's.  Any advice, is appreciated.

DISTINCT removes duplicate rows from the result set. Since the product_sku is probably different in each row, the the rows are all different and there's nothing for distinct to remove. If all you are trying to get is a list of distinct order_id's, why are you selecting other columns?

Use GROUP BY order_id to consolidate all rows having the same order_id into one row in the result set.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.