Upgrade vs Re-install

arenaninja

Hi all. I've a crusty server running MySQL 3.23 at the moment. I'm trying to write some reports via PHP but tihs is unmanageable without the ability to set up primary/foreign keys. Just about everything I've read says to upgrade from 3.23 -> 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 5.0 -> .... -> currentver. One issue is that I can't even find the files for a 4.0 upgrade. However, I've copied the database and done a 5.xx WAMP local install a few times by now -- it seems that I need to worry about PASSWORD() becoming OLD_PASSWORD() and TIMESTAMP(14) becoming TIMESTAMP. A lot of things also happened with the table types, but I haven't read that far into it just yet.

So my question is... should I stay the upgrade path or is it feasible to do a re-install to shoot to current version altogether? Of course, I would back up (multiple times) first. Currently running:

Linux 2.6.5, Apache 2.0, PHP 4.3.4 (upgrading to 5.3ish tonight, I think) and MySQL 3.23.58.

And if you could post steps (e.g.: how to install stuff on Fedora 2), you would be a lifesaver (I do not have physical access to the webserver, but I do have root access)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.