Would I use an OUTER JOIN?

Nodral

Morning All

I'm having issues with a query I need to write.

I have the following 2  tables

• 1 - id, employee number, employee name, location.
  • 2 - id, employee number, course title

I need to create a query where I can give the location and a course title and the values returned will be all those from the location who have NOT attended the course given. 

Any thoughts?

There are several other tables and columnswhch reference each other which I have omitted for the purpose of this query, and the DB contains several hundred thousand records so a restructure is out of the question.

The query you have written will only return values where an employee of the location has attended a course which is not the given one, rather than ALL employees for a certain location which have not attended the course.  I have some employees who have not attended any courses which would not show in your query.

This is the same issue I am having.

the query i posted will return all employees from a specific location that hasn't attended the specific course, but you can add

SELECT table_1.* FROM table_1 LEFT JOIN table_2 ON table_1.emp_number = table_2.emp_number
WHERE location = 'locaction' AND (course_title != 'title' OR course_title IS NULL);

and that should give you what you are looking for.

Hi

I presume there are multiple courses per person, in which case I think the above suggestion will bring back all the other courses people have done

I would try:-

SELECT table_1.* 
FROM table_1 
LEFT OUTER JOIN table_2 
ON table_1.emp_number = table_2.emp_number AND table_2.course_title = 'title'
WHERE location = 'locaction'
AND course_title IS NULL;

This is using a LEFT OUTER JOIN against the courses table, but checking the course title in the ON clause. This way anyone who has done that course will have a row returned from the join with the course title populated while anyone else will have a row returned from the join with the course title being null. The where clause then drops the rows where the course title is not null.

All the best

Keith

probably this will work

SELECT table_1.* FROM table_1 LEFT JOIN table_2 ON table_1.emp_number = table_2.emp_number
WHERE location = 'locaction' AND course_title != 'title';

But anyways I think you should rethink the way your database is made.

the query i posted will return all employees from a specific location that hasn't attended the specific course, but you can add

WHERE location = 'locaction' AND (course_title != 'title' OR course_title IS NULL);

and that should give you what you are looking for.

To be clear, neither of the above will work -- however, kickstart's solution will (as usual).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.