Database Design Question

jennifer_J

I'm working on an ecommerce site. We currently have static html pages containing listings of our categories, subcategories, and product links. We do use ecommerce software, but I would like to keep the category pages written in html because there are numerous problems with the ecomm software we use. For one thing, It's very difficult to create sub categories on the back end without messing up the existing structure. So I'd like to develop my own back end system for managing these static html pages.

I'm pretty new at working with mysql so I don't know if it's approprite to design a database with tables reflecting the structure of our static html pages to manage our content this way. The pages take this format.

Category

subcatergory

product listing and description

subcategory

there are 30 categories each containing one to four pages, with 5-10 subcategories on each page, and over 1,000 products. It's not necessary for these items to have pictures on these pages.

If you have suggestions for designing the database table structure, and if this would be good practice to store this data in a mysql table.... Please Advise.

Base idea, and then other stuff in ()

Category:

catID

catName

(description / slug / short name)

Subcategory

subID

catID

subName

(description / slug / short name)

Products

proID

catID

subID

proName

proSubName

proDescription

(picture / slug / price / link to whatever )

If I perused your site, I could probably come up with more... I will probably suggest WordPress + ecommerce plugin.  WordPress does a lot with the right plug-ins.  check it out at wordpress.org.

Hey thanks for your reply. I'm trying to understand Relational Databases and how this could come together. I'm familiar with SQL and PHP affecting unrelated database tables. I really can't wait to learn this so I'm not looking for the easiest solution. I want to keep our ecommerce software because it's integrated with our accounting software. I am looking at creating a custom cms to manage the pages I'm talking about and the rest of the site. I've used wordpress. I've had clients call me constantly because the don't understand how to use wordpress or are too lazy and don't want to update their site.  I don't think it's the right solution for this project either.

There is a good tutorial I just found here about relational databases:

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/many-to-many.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.