Is it okay to use a select with an option var that as a space?

floridaflatlander

I've been using an option that's a state, an example would be South Carolina or North Dekota.

In the url the $_GET var turns it into South+Carolina or North+Dekota.

Is this common and okay across different Browsers? I've tried ie and firefox and the + sign is addded but I was wondering if they're just designed to be as idiot proof as possible.

Thanks

... if you want to be sure that it will, you can simply encode the data yourself.

Thanks Aykay.., I tried using str_replace last night change the space to a plus sign and it put something like South%2BCarolina (I think that's what it was more or less) in the url.

I think i'll just put a dash instead of a plus sign in the spaces of the variables that need them then remove the dashes for the db query.

I'll mark this closed in a couple of hours if no one else chimes in.

Thanks again.

S

... if you want to be sure that it will, you can simply encode the data yourself.

Thanks Aykay.., I tried using str_replace last night change the space to a plus sign and it put something like South%2BCarolina (I think that's what it was more or less) in the url.

I think i'll just put a dash instead of a plus sign in the spaces of the variables that need them then remove the dashes for the db query.

I'll mark this closed in a couple of hours if no one else chimes in.

Thanks again.

S

it put a %2B in the url because that is the encoded value of +.

as I said, you can either encode this yourself to be absolutely sure, or you can simply divide the words by a url-friendly character, which you have done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.