Undetermined string literal (creating a script tag with javascript) [uploadify]

joe92

I am trying to create 3 elements on the fly when a button is clicked. The button is the show an upload form for images. I am using uploadify (first time using it) and I have several different upload type/options for them so I am sending id's to differentiate between them. The problem I am having is when trying to create the script tag which in turn controls the input file type tag, and it is baffling me. Here's the code first:

var scriptContent = "$(document).ready(function() {
   $('#"+newid+"').uploadify({
   'uploader' : 'uploadify/uploadify.swf',
   'script' : '?ajax=uploadElement&id="+newid+"&updateValue=Image&inputType=image',
   'cancelImg' : 'uploadify/cancel.png',
   'folder' : 'uploads',
   'auto' : false,
   'multi' : false,
   'onAllComplete' : function(event,data) {alert(data.filesUploaded + ' files uploaded successfully!');}
   });
}); ";
var scriptTag = document.createElement('script');
scriptTag.innerHTML = scriptContent;

And this is the error:

unterminated string literal
[break On This Error] 	

--------------------^

And this is what JSLint says about it:

Error:

Problem at line 1 character 21: Unclosed string.

Problem at line 1 character 21: Stopping. (10% scanned).

The error would indicate there is something wrong with the string. First thing that came to mind was that because there is a $ sign the string was searching for a variable (even if it is within a js file) so I changed the opening and closing speech marks to single quotations and cancelled the others with backslashes. This made no difference and gave me the same error, instead pointing to a single quotation instead of a speech mark. I then tried just removing the dollar signs altogether, no difference. So I undid all of that and moved the string into a variable before the scriptTag variable is created (beforehand was just placing it straight into the innerHTML) thinking maybe I should reference the content. That didn't work either. I am at loss here and I have no idea what is wrong with that string.

Can you see anything wrong with it? Am I going about this the wrong way? I have multiple upload forms on the same screen because I wish for the user to be able to handle each image individually. I only want new upload forms to be shown when asked for.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Joe

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.