wirelessly calling italy solution

silverglade

I want to move to italy after i graduate, but i have no way of talking to them in privacy via pc to pc via skype because my cable connection is in my room. So i need a cheap wireless way to make unlimited calls using my notebook. right now it is not nearly enough, i am paying $25 for readybroadband wireless internet for my notebook and i only get 300mb for 30 days. i cant talk at that low transfer rate. i need to make cheap and long calls to italian people's computers or to their cell phones or even landlines if best. i need to be able to make the calls at college in privacy for a certain reason. otherwise i would just use skype pc tp pc in my room via cable.

any ideas other than getting a cell phone with unlimited overseas calls please.

I'm testing out magicjack now. I just installed it yesterday. You can go online and see their overseas pricing.

You can buy it from them but I saw online where a guy suggested getting it from walmart so you can take it back easier if it's not what you need and that's what I did. Users at amazon give it a terrible rating but 78% of walmart reviewers said they'd suggest it to others.

I think the main problem is that people's internet connection isn't fast enough, my magic jack works fine so far but the quality isn't as good as comcasts phone quality but I can work with it for this price(vs 600$ a year at comcast). "I think" I hear a small amount of static in the phone but I need to test it more and on longer conversations.

The thingie cost 40 bucks, then 20$ a year after that and you can go anywhere with it and keep the same number, 911 only works at one location so that doesn't move, I transferred my comcast number to magic jack, that was another 20 dollars. This supposedly takes up to 10 business days.

I started this tread several days ago and will post info as I play with it, if magic jack doesn't work I'll then try vonage which is still cheaper than comcast.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=350833.msg1655975#msg1655975

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.