Is there a way to do this in one go?

joe92

I wish to extract the data between the square brackets and replace the spaces with underscores in one go?

E.g. I have the string

location=[location to go to]

I need to get it to,

location_to_go_to

Currently I am using a preg_replace_callback with a str_replace to change the spaces into underscores, but it seems like a long winded route to take. Is there a way I can do this in one clean sweep of a preg_replace?

Here is the existing code:

<?php
function removeSpace($match){
$string = $match[1];
$string = str_replace(' ', '_', $string);
return $string;
}	
$location = 'location=[location to go to]';
echo $location.'<br/>into<br/>';
$location = preg_replace_callback("~location=\[([\w\s-]+)\]~ism", "removeSpace", $location);
echo $location;

If not, then I suppose it's no great loss. I'm just constantly looking for ways to improve my regex skills :D

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

You don't know the number of spaces (if any) in the string, is that right? If so, your preg_replace_callback combined with a str_replace or preg_replace looks great to me.

If you know the number of spaces, you can do it with a single preg_replace, but you probably know that. ;)

Wishing you a fun weekend.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.