MySQL said: Cannot connect: invalid settings.

mtwhite

I installed XAMPP 1.7.7 about 3-4 months ago (I'm using Vista Home Premium). I've had no problems since the install and use this as my sandbox to develop Wordpress sites. Today I am unable to get to the phpmyadmin panel either from the XAMPP control panel or from the browser XAMPP Tools area. It responds with "Cannot connect: invalid settings".

I have made no changes and the config.inc.php is correct as far as user and password.

The only item that could be even remotely related is I downloaded Drupal and unzipped the program in a separate folder (not in the XAMPP directory). I did not install it, only unzipped the zip file. I cannot imagine this had anything to do with it but wanted to include all info in this post.

The only help I see in any of these boards is to review the config.inc.php file and that is correct.

Any thoughts?

Ok, cleared the session and my browser cache, same error. I saw in other forums where XAMPP was uninstalled and reinstalled but that fixed it in less than 1/3 of the instances. I've seen others say it was virus related but I'm good there. I'm out of ideas.

This captcha to post sure is a pain...

• 5 months later...

I also faced this kind of problem. But i resolved in the below process.

step 1: Open the file with notepad with the following path: C:\xampp\phpMyAdmin\config.inc.php

step 2: modify the configuration settings like this :

/* Authentication type and info */

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'root';

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

now try to open phpmyadmin.

Happy logged in and created unlimited databases. :):)

Regards,

Nagendra

www.imnagendra.in

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.