Zone file "@" definition

JudgementDay

It stands for the domain itself, without and subdomains. I think technically it is an alias for something defined elsewhere but I cannot remember the details at the moment.  As a general case though, it representing the domain is true.

In a zone file for mydomain.com:

@ IN A 192.168.0.1

would mean that 'mydomain.com' points at that address. 

I don't really know if a record like ns1 IN NS ns1.mydomain.com is needed.  I'm not that familiar with NS records.  I've only done a few basic dns configurations, and have not done that for quite a while.

You would need an A record to define what ns1.mydomain.com resolves to. @ only covers the base domain, it does not act as a wildcard for all subdomains.  For that you would use *.

@ IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

would point mydomain.com to that ip, but www.mydomain.com would still be non-existent and not resolve unless you define it or define *.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.