A question on how you would do this site in php?

fapapfap

I want to create a site which is a mix between a service provider and a blog/tutorial site.

The visitor is met with a page which is split into 3. The first third is a simple user input bar which once they enter their site address into it the Alexa records are queried and some process results in them then choosing options and proceeding to checkout.

The next third of the main page is a sort of cross-section of blog entries.

The final third is a spot for all the propritory tools and things that the site produced for download.

At the very top I would have some options menus for |what is it|how to use|background|contact| etc..

Someone told me to do it with Joomla, another with wordpress- I think they are crazy and would love to learn PHP as an exciting project at the same time, although I am concerned about biting off more than I can chew.

What you think?

Those people were not so crazy, I would suggest the same thing.

Unless you want to make your very own cms, you will have to learn a lot more and also make it secure.

You can do that in wordpress.

The users website and other items you mention can be saved in their profile. Then can just query alexa to find these results based on that.

The blog entries would already be able to be accessed from the author tag.

Only thing I see additional would be this.

The final third is a spot for all the propritory tools and things that the site produced for download.

For that I could see just adding a specific category for, or a designated page, maybe even add it to their profile page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.