Cache timing question

RopeADope

Are you talking about the query cache?

Probably?  I'm not familiar with the caching abilities of MySQL so I read through some documentation and user posts about it, but I'm still confused.  I think because of the way the question was asked of me, I figured there was an actual time setting somewhere.  Does the query cache has an actual time setting or is the time based on the number of queries ahead of the query in question?

So it would be the settings dictating the cache size that determines how long the record stays in cache?

Indirectly -- all things being equal, a larger cache will tend to keep more cache records, and assuming a random distribution (never true) of updates and inserts, they would persist longer.

But who cares how long they stay? They remain as long as they're valid.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.