dynamic routing

dmikester1

I think this is probably the right forum for this question.  I'm not using a specific framework but am working on writing my own dynamic router.  What is the general consensus about which $_SERVER variable to use to route the request.  After doing a ton of research, I've found people recommending PATH_INFO, ORIG_PATH_INFO, REQUEST_URI, PHP_SELF, SCRIPT_FILENAME, or SCRIPT_NAME.  In February 2012, is there a general consensus among PHP coders about which is the best one to use?  Or do people recommending checking if one isset, and if not, use a second one?

Thanks!

Mike

PHP_SELF and SCRIPT_NAME are out of the equation because they don't go close to providing the data that you need.

As for a consensus, I'm not sure there is any. Simple frameworks will likely only use REQUEST_URI as it is generally reliable, however, something more robust will check for various server specific variables such as X_REWRITE_URL and UNENCODED_URL before falling back to REQUEST_URI and then finally ORIG_PATH_INFO.

I'm in the process of writing a framework myself and decided to go down the simple REQUEST_URI path for now. I figure I can always add more checks latter if need be but for now REQUEST_URI is perfectly reliable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.