mysql_update not working (for MySQL 5 Windows Upgrade)

arianhojat

seems like when u upgrade sql on windows to 5, you cannot conncet to the new database cause the user,etc tables are in old format...
so mysql provides mysql_update  to fix the tables for you so u can connect once again to your database....
but the command doesnt work properly... there is a bug for this, not sure what the fix for this is since this suggested fix on mysql's website, submitted by a user, doesnt work for me:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-upgrade.html
which says
[quote]Couple of bugs in mysql_upgrade.exe, like Bug #20950 "Win version of mysql_upgrade looks for mysqlcheck instead of mysqlcheck.exe", cause problems running mysql_upgrade.

The fast and dirty workaround is:

cd C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin
copy mysqlcheck.exe "mysqlcheck"
rem Yes, without extention.
copy mysql.exe "mysql"
cd ..
mysql_upgrade --basedir="."[/quote]

i get the error bascially when i run last line:

[quote]C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0>mysql_upgrade -u root -p --basedir="."
Enter password: ******
.\bin\mysqlcheck.exe: Got error: 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) when trying to connect
Error executing '.\bin\mysqlcheck.exe --defaults-extra-file=.\data\upgrade_defaults --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair --user=root'[/quote]

thanks if u can ask a few people, fenway. i used -u -p options in there just cause
mysql_upgrade --basedir="."
by itself, will throw that same 'Can't connect to MySQL server' error, so i assumed maybe i should use my password to help the command do its job.

yet the user table is the very thing which is messed up, so i dunno if supplying a username and password will help the command connect and fix the tables, since its trying to fix the user/password issue in the 1st place if u get my drift.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.