Enabling PHP short_open_tag

Hello, This has been giving me a bit of a headache, I already tried editing my php.ini files in both apache and php files. What I'm trying to do is install a seo on localhost and I can't figure out how to enable short_open_tag to start installation.

short_open_tag=On

;  Default Value: On

;  Development Value: on

;  Production Value: on

Help would be appreciated thanks.

Option 1 - Just install an outdated varsion of PHP, where all the rest of the depreciated functionality still works too.

Option 2 - edit the scripts so that they don't use short open tags then wait for the next problem.

Option 3 - use an up to date version of the script that you are trying to install which doesn't require depreciated functions (ok, it's short open tags you need just now, this is before you even install it, imagine how many warnings and notices and other problems its going to throw once it's installed!).

Option 4 - like option 3 but use a different SEO script that is up to scratch with modern language requrements.

Option 1 - Just install an outdated varsion of PHP, where all the rest of the depreciated functionality still works too.

Option 2 - edit the scripts so that they don't use short open tags then wait for the next problem.

Option 3 - use an up to date version of the script that you are trying to install which doesn't require depreciated functions (ok, it's short open tags you need just now, this is before you even install it, imagine how many warnings and notices and other problems its going to throw once it's installed!).

Option 4 - like option 3 but use a different SEO script that is up to scratch with modern language requrements.

The problem with Option 1 is I wouldn't know what version of PHP I'd need for that.

So there's no real easy fix for this without having other errors? I'm just starting out so I really don't know that much...

Thanks for the reply.

Option 1 was me being fecicious, sorry about that.

No, there isn't an easy option.  The thing is, these things progress they way they do for a reason, usualy a very good one, and going back from these changes just causes mkore problems than it servers, especialy in the long term.  Check the site for the people who made the script you want to run for an updated varsion, also, google for FREE PHP 5 SEO SCRIPT and see what you get.

Look to see if there is an updated version of the script. If not, the script probably isn't worth using anyway. I'm not an SEO expert, but I would think that there are enough changes over time that what was a good script 2 years ago probably isn't such a good script today. And, if the script was written recently, I wouldn't rely upon it if the author wasn't aware that using short tags is not support by default any more.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.