allow_url_fopen = off

CouchMaster

My hosting company (GoDaddy) has upgraded PHP and now
register_globals and allow_url_fopen  are set to off by default.
register_globals was an easy fix by changing $abc to $_GET[abc]
however, straight text book php like $handle = fopen (blahblahblah)
no longer works. 
Question, is there an easy, simple fix, like the register_globals $_GET[abc] above??????? to get it working again........

allow_url_fopen  boolean

This option enables the URL-aware fopen wrappers that enable accessing URL object like files. Default wrappers are provided for the access of emote files using the ftp or http protocol, some extensions like zlib may register additional wrappers.

Note: This setting can only be set in php.ini due to security reasons.

Most you could probably do is ask GoDaddy to change it for you

Yeah but, GoDaddy is not going to change it because of "security reasons", which is why it was upgraded in the first place-they say it's happening across the hosting communities in general.

I was hoping for a simple programming walk-around - anyone?

Surely others have this problem too...

I [i]think[/i] that with the new hosting configuration on GoDaddy, you can put a supplemental php.ini file in your root directory. 

So, you might try creating a php.ini file and putting it in your root directory.  It would be a pretty simple, one line deal:

allow_url_fopen = on

The first time you add this file (or an .htaccess file) where there hasn't been one before, you might have to wait 30-60 minutes until they get it properly cached.  Once that happens, you can make changes that are implemented immediately.

Hope that works.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.