Converting to framework !?

f3nnix

So, I've been writing a...search engine lets say. For some wierd reason of understanding the project, I've writed it in plain php, no frameworks, not shortcuts or so...

While doing that, I been thinking after I finish the core point of it, I will rewrite it into some framework, eather some third party fw or I will write my own one.

The time passed, I've been hardcoding even after I finished the whole core structure and even came to a point of finalization, even with css & js. So now,

gess what? I whant to rewrite it in some framework. Crazy me.

So the questions are:

1. Should I use some third framework like codeigniter or start by writing my own?

2. If i should get some third, which one?

3. Which one does work best with praseing json data and mainly praseing with cUrl?

Most of anwsers I know, but I whana hear others opinion... mabey mine changes! :)

Thanks for reading! :P

1. If you have to ask, you should use an existing product.

2. CodeIgniter is great for those new to frameworks or OOP/MVC in general. If you're comfortable with a bit more of a learning curve then you can pretty much pick any of the major ones, they all do the same thing in the end.

3. I don't think any of them has a particularly strong edge for that. Working with JSON or cURL is pretty simple, so much of them should all be about the same.

So, I've been writing a...search engine lets say. For some wierd reason of understanding the project, I've writed it in plain php, no frameworks, not shortcuts or so...

While doing that, I been thinking after I finish the core point of it, I will rewrite it into some framework, eather some third party fw or I will write my own one.

The time passed, I've been hardcoding even after I finished the whole core structure and even came to a point of finalization, even with css & js. So now,

gess what? I whant to rewrite it in some framework. Crazy me.

So the questions are:

1. Should I use some third framework like codeigniter or start by writing my own?

2. If i should get some third, which one?

3. Which one does work best with praseing json data and mainly praseing with cUrl?

Most of anwsers I know, but I whana hear others opinion... mabey mine changes! :)

Thanks for reading! :P

Write your own. The benefits of learning the basic design-patterns that EVERY programmer should know will be a far greater reward than having an arguably "better" framework for your app. Also, If you don't understand an MVC pattern well enough to write it from scratch, your going to be scratching your head a whole lot while working with CodeIgnitor, Zend, Cake, Joomla, Wordpress, Silverstripe, etc... Pretty much all the frameworks harp on the MVC design pattern, with a singleton application object. It will also help your understanding of writing iPhone apps in objective-c, if you ever get the urge to go mobile.

I love the 3rd party frameworks and CMS's available and have developed heavily with most of them, but If you are serious about digging into some software engineering with php or any other language, design patterns are core fundamentals...LEARN 'EM!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.