hosting company

mattm1712

There is no "best web hosting company".  There are many web hosting companies out there to choose from, and the choice you make is highly dependent on your hosting requirements and budget. 

For example, if your application requires a lot of diskspace but very little cpu and memory then that is going to drive you towards different providers than if it's a cpu intensive application. 

I don't know of any hosting company that prevents you from running a cron job every 5 minutes.

Speaking generally, there is shared hosting, virtual hosting and dedicated hosting.  They all have different use cases.

In the last few years most of my work has been with virtual hosts either on Amazon AWS or Linode.  While I don't need CPanel (worth an entire thread in its own right) you can always license it directly from the company that makes it, although there are FOSS alternatives out there like Openpanel or webmin which might be acceptable.

Totally agree with what gizmola said.

If you really want full control over what your server can do it would be best to rent a dedicated server.

http://www.limestonenetworks.com/ was about my best host.

Not gonna be able to do much besides normal websites on the $8 a month hosts or similar priced.

You get what you pay for, and sometimes not even that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.