Undefine index issue

Shadowing

hey guys having troubles figuring out my problem here

Just a standard populating drop down box

I must be over looking something here.

I should have two values from the away which I do

print_r checks out fine on $mods. so nothing wrong with the array.

Notice: Undefined index: name_list

When I see this error I think name_list isnt defined. Only one of the two names display in the drop down box the other one displays out side of it. The error started after adding a 2nd name to the drop down box.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT name FROM users WHERE monitor ='mod' ORDER BY id DESC") or die(mysql_error());
$mods = array();

while($raw = mysql_fetch_assoc( $result )) {    

$mods[] = $raw;
}

echo '<td colspan="3"><select name="name_list" class="textbox" id="name_list">';

foreach($mods as $key => $value) {        

echo '<option value="' . $value['name'] . '" ' . ($value['name'] == $_POST
['name_list'] ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . '> ' . $value['name'] . '</options></select></td>';

hey guys having troubles figuring out my problem here

Just a standard populating drop down box

I must be over looking something here.

I should have two values from the away which I do

print_r checks out fine on $mods. so nothing wrong with the array.

Notice: Undefined index: name_list

When I see this error I think name_list isnt defined. Only one of the two names display in the drop down box the other one displays out side of it. The error started after adding a 2nd name to the drop down box.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT name FROM users WHERE monitor ='mod' ORDER BY id DESC") or die(mysql_error());
$mods = array();

$mods[] = $raw;
}

echo '<td colspan="3"><select name="name_list" class="textbox" id="name_list">';

echo '<option value="' . $value['name'] . '" ' . ($value['name'] == $_POST
['name_list'] ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . '> ' . $value['name'] . '</options></select></td>';

print_r( $_POST );

here is the new code now after the change to the foreach bracket

$mods = array();

$mods[] = $raw;
}

echo '<option value="' . $value['name'] . '" ' . ($value['name'] == $_POST['name_list'] ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . '> ' . $value['name'] . '</options>';

} 
	echo '</select></td><td class="submit"><input type="submit" name="remove" id="remove" value="Remove"></td>';   

thanks xyph that fixed the problem of the 2nd name not being in the drop down box.

the error notice still exist though. hmm

I did print_r($_POST['name_list']); and got the same error

It's because you haven't posted the form yet, so the data for name_list does not exist in the php $_POST array. Therefore you are getting an error telling you that the index(['name_list']) does not exist in the array. It's not going to mess up execution of your script and those errors should not be displayed anyway in a production environment. But for now you can suppress it like so:

$mods = array();

$mods[] = $raw;
}

echo '<option value="' . $value['name'] . '" ' . ($value['name'] == @$_POST['name_list'] ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . '> ' . $value['name'] . '</options>';

} 
	echo '</select></td><td class="submit"><input type="submit" name="remove" id="remove" value="Remove"></td>';

wierd i dont have this issue with other drop down boxes.

Im not a big fan of using @

I over looked the bracket being before the end select tag when comparing it to the other drop down boxes i have.

but the other ones i have are exactly the same now

some times if i do have a undefine variable i'll do

$name_list = !isset($name_list) ? '' : $name_list;

hmm

wierd i dont have this issue with other drop down boxes.

Im not a big fan of using @

I over looked the bracket being before the end select tag when comparing it to the other drop down boxes i have.

but the other ones i have are exactly the same now

some times if i do have a undefine variable i'll do

$name_list = !isset($name_list) ? '' : $name_list;

hmm

I generally use the @ to save bytes, especially for something as simple as checking the value of a variable that may or may not exist. I also understand how you feel about not wanting to suppress errors, should they exist. Just a personal preference really.

That's weird that the error is not showing up when it's only populating from 1 result, it doesn't seem like that should make any difference in the post array.

I see whats going on now

For starters i coded a long time with out using all errors, which is bad cause its real good for seeing mistakes.

my other drop down boxes are using a php variable in place of name_list on the orginal example.

echo '<option value="' . $value['name'] . '" ' . ($value['name'] == $current['name_list'] ? 'selected="selected"' : '')

I see what you are saying now how the variable doesnt exist cause the html doesnt exist

i dont understand why it would matter if im displaying one result or more. what the heck lol

thanks alot for the help. much appreciated.

The @ error suppressor is never the 'right' way to handle an error. The 'right' way to do this is

(isset($_POST['name_list']) && $value['name'] == $_POST['name_list'] ? 'selected="selected"' : '')

Check if the variable exists before trying to use it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.